I started a new project! Surprised? Of course you’re not.
Here’s something that will probably surprise you. This is the only project I’ve worked on since I started it on Friday.
It’s the Somewhat Cowl in Elsebeth Lavold Silky Tweed.
I’m calling it the Somewhat Somewhat Cowl because I’ve already made a few changes (but you knew I would right?)
I’m getting 5.5 instead of 6 stitches per inch. That was an easy alteration. I just used the cast on numbers for a size smaller and it worked out fine.
I’ve also shortened the depth of the raglan. For my size it said 11.5 or 12 inches, but that would have been too long. So mine is around 9.5 and it’s giving me a much more snug fit.
I also started the cowl only an inch below the armholes because otherwise I’d have no choice but to wear it with a tank underneath and I didn’t want to be stuck wearing it that way all the time.
And finally, instead of casting on all the central stitches for the cowl at once, I did it over 6 rows. I don’t think this change is going to really do much. If I had thought about it sooner I would have started maybe 2 or even 3 inches above but I didn’t. I had wanted to create more of a V look but it didn’t happen. I think it will be fine because once the cowl is folded over it will do some of that V anyway.
I don’t want to jinx myself but the fit is fabulous so far! Because it’s a closer fit I am going to do some short rowing, and that should happen tonight. After that, I may or may not add in waist shaping (not sure if I’ll need it since this isn’t a loose top anyway). The great thing about top-down is you can make the decision as you knit.
One thing (and I’m writing it here to remind myself as much as to share it with you all) that I did this time was to join the front and back a little before I felt like I should. Meaning, it seemed like it would be a little tight if I joined it when I did, but I did it anyway. I was matching it up against another top I have and the measurements said it was the right time. Still, when I put it on I was afraid it was going to bind under the arms. I trusted the measurements and I’m really happy I did. Lesson learned — knitting stretches a lot. Yes, I knew that (and I’m sure you all did too) but if you’re like me you’re so fearful of something being too small that you err on the side of making it too big. This time I decided it’ll only be an hour or so of knitting before I’d be able to tell for sure, and that seemed like a reasonable amount of time to give up for a better fitting top.