These socks were such a pleasure to knit up! It’s the first time I’ve knit a sock with cotton in it.
Regia Cotton Surf. They come in big 100g balls and I have about 7 grams leftover. The yarn has about 40% wool in it which gives it a nice resiliency and stretch, but the cotton makes it lighter weight and less warm — perfect for in between season wearings.
Matching the Stripes
After posting earlier in the week about those great matching stripes, many of you asked if I had any hints on how to do it. Here’s what I did:
When I started sock 1, I purposely cast on starting at the very beginning of an orange color change. At this point I didn’t know what the stripe repeats looked like, so I just pulled the yarn out until the first color change.
I knit up sock 1 without any concern over how the stripes were laying out. But, After several inches it was clear that the yarn had a 9-stripe repeat. Every 9 stripes started over with the same color and width sequence. It’s important to note that not all sock yarns are so predictable. Here’s a pic of the socks side-by-side. Can you see the 9-stripe repeat?
Then when it was time to knit sock 2 I pulled the yarn out of the ball until I reached an orange spot. I knew I needed a longer orange chunk followed by a shorter orange chunk. I found the start of an orange stripe and then kept pulling out until I found the next one. Once I found the longer stripe followed by the shorter stripe I knew where to start. I then started the sock exactly the same way I started sock 1.
Honestly, I didn’t expect the socks would match up as well as they did! The Cotton Surf is VERY consistent and that made all the difference. Consistent gauge helps too, but if the yarn didn’t repeat so well it wouldn’t have mattered.
Washing the Sock
You may have noticed in last week’s pic that there was a ridge along the center of the sock. This was where the 2 circs met. I had never had that happen on wool socks before and I wasn’t sure if it would relax. But it did! If you look at the top pic it’s completely gone.
Picot Edge Hem
I did end up pulling out the first hem. I went with Marnie’s suggestion of Kitchnering it. There’s a great illustration in Montse Stanley’s book on how to Kitchner a hem in place. It’s similar to kitchnering garter stitch. I was S-L-O-W but it worked — took about 1.5 hours per sock! And it’s as stretchy as the rest of the sock.
Just a regular old toe-up with short row heel. I used a figure 8 toe with no slip knot so I could go back and pull it tighter once I had knit a few inches. I made the sock 10% smaller in width than my sock pal’s foot, and I reduced the leg by 8 stitches about an inch above the heel because it seemed too wide for sock legs. I did a basic YO K2tog picot edge, followed with 4 or 5 rows of stockinette, and then the Kitchner hem.