Today’s all about house renovations. If you’re here just for the knitting, you can stop reading now…
I bought the house 6.5 years ago. I made a lot of changes (mostly for the good) but then I lost steam. Very similar to what can happen on big kniting projects.
the kitchen, today
It’s time to finish up the biggest project — the kitchen.
It’s not in terrible shape, but several things need to be addressed. Continue reading in the extended entry.
- It needs a new countertop. The black countertop is too dark for this small kitchen.
- It needs more storage space. What kitchen doesn’t?
- It needs some seating room.
- Some cabinets need to be leveled. It’s an 80 year old house and the kitchen is partly original and partly addition. The floor curves down a bit where the 2 meet.
- It needs some finishing (window sill is missing, and the ceiling above the stove is unfinished).
Here’s a floorplan
It’s a small kitchen (see more pics here). Not counting the pantry/refrigerator area, it’s 10 feet x 8 feet. And since there are rooms on 2 sides of the kitchen, you lose wall space that could be used for storage.
We want to get as much done as possible before my vacation the week of May 7th. If it’s close to being done, I may be able to tackle the downstairs bathroom (which needs a tile floor, new toilet and vanity, and new shower surround). We’re also getting estimates to do a patio in the back with sliding doors going to the outside. I’ve wanted to do that ever since I bought the house.
Why all the motivation now? All these HGTV renovation shows! I keep watching them and thinking “wow, they’re so lucky to be done”. I want to be done too.