As I look back on 2008, I have to admit that I didn’t finish nearly what I had set out to at the beginning of the year. Of course, I didn’t factor knotions into the mix back then, and when I consider all the work it’s taken (and will continue to take this year) I’m (almost) happy with what I’ve completed.
At the end of each year I take stock – reflect on the (now previous) year and think about what I want to continue doing and what I want to fix. Last year I talked about knitting more socks, knitting more designs from books I already have, and branching out into more mixed-media knitting. I didn’t hit a single one of those goals. To be fair, I didn’t plan for knotions when I wrote that list, and that has to be considered some kind of FO, no? 😉
I have some bigger ideas for 2009 that are still ruminating, so for now I’ll share with you a few of my knitting-related goals.
- I want to design more this year. Knotions took up more time than I ever expected and I haven’t been able to design nearly as much as I had hoped (and I have a sketch book bursting with ideas to prove it). So for this year, I joined NaKniSweMoDo. The group is dedicated to knitting 12 adult-sized sweaters/tops during the year. My goal is to design at least half of them, and I’ve already started on the first.
- Use a little more color in my knitting. I have no problem using color in socks and accessories, but I want to do something a little more daring (for me) with a sweater or a top. This one is going to take some effort – my latest WIP is a charcoal gray.
- Work through a little more of my sock yarn stash. Do I really need to elaborate?
- Don’t grow the stash (again) this year. I’m really not sure if I made this goal last year. I really didn’t buy much, but I also didn’t knit much. On second thought, I’m sure the stash has grown in 2008 (hello MDSW, Rhinebeck and Stitches East), although I did sell quite a few things that I no longer had an interest in knitting. Selling off stash feels like cheating though, right?
- Blog a little more. This one is somewhat difficult because when I’m designing I can’t blog as much, but I’m going to try because I really miss it.
- Always have a simple project on the needles. Sometimes I just want to knit – no note taking, no measuring. Just. Knit. So, I plan to always have a simple sock or scarf on the needles that I can pick up at any time I crave a little simple knitting time.
Will I achieve these goals? Only time will tell. I do plan to do a monthly check-in though – I had forgotten several of my goals for 2008, and there’s no chance of hitting a goal if you’ve forgotten what it was in the first place.
If you’ve set some goals for yourself, I hope you have a great time working toward them. Have a wonderful 2009!