Truth be told I’ve been all over the place with my knitting so far this year. No surprise, right? So I felt like it was a good time to do a check in and see where I’m at with the goals.
Here’s what I posted on January 1st, with updates if I’ve made any progress…
- Knit more socks – I say this every year. I love wearing handknit socks and I enjoy knitting them. I’ve knit 2 pairs each of the past few years. For 2014, I’m making 4 pairs my goal. I’m almost halfway through sock #2 of my rainbow socks. Not bad. Not awesome either.
- Get on track with Paul’s pair of socks per year – I was off to a great start and finished Paul’s 2012 socks in February, but then fizzled out. The man puts up with a whole room dedicated to knitting, yarn and crafting. He deserves a little more sock love. I’m a bit further than this pic at this point. Just a tad.
- Knit more garments – I finally knit a garment this year and I even started a few more. For 2014 I’d like to knit 2 garments. I’m making good progress on Overlynd. Now let’s see how long that lasts.
- Use more festival yarn – I did really well in 2012 and knit all the yarn I got at festivals. For 2013, not so much. I’d like to get back to knitting more of the yarn that I buy during the year. Nada.
- Branch out with colors for accessories – I’m never going to look good wearing orange near my face but mittens or socks? No problem. I bought some orange yarn for a pair of mitts – does that count?
- Add more non-sock weight yarn to my stash. – And then knit with it. I have almost no heavier weight yarn and I’m reminded of this every time I come across a pattern I like for aran, worsted or DK weight. I bought the lilac yarn for Overlynd this year.
- Actually knit with some of my self-striping yarn – It’s my kryptonite and I’m in jeopardy of becoming the self-striping hoarder. Plus I really want to buy more. Both sock WIPs are with self-striping. Of course, I also bought another skein as well. Ahem. But let’s not focus on that. It’s St. Patrick’s Day and the colorway is Lucky Leprechaun. Hmm – maybe I should CO these socks tonight. I am half Irish after all.
- Make some of my UFOs into FOs – I have 16 non-hibernating UFOs. I’m fine with a lot of WIPs and UFOs but I’d love to get a few more FOs as well. A little more focus would be a good thing. We all know I have no FOs for 2014 yet. I’m half process/half product knitter. This clearly only satisfies one half of this knitter’s sensibilities.
I’m actually glad I put this post together – everything I’ve bought and worked on this year went toward at least one of my goals – something I didn’t realize until I wrote it. I guess I’m not as much of an unfocused slacker as I thought.
But I do still want to have at least one FO soon. No date – just soon.
I’ll catch you on the purl side.