is probably a cape…or a capelet…or a poncho…or a shawl.
I’ve been looking at accessories. Fun to make, fun to wear, quick(er) to knit up. And since it’s SO FREAKING COLD right now, keeping myself insulated is a priority. Bonus points if I can wear them at work or at home too.
So riddle me this…what’s the difference between a cowl, a capelet, a cape, a poncho and a shawl. Think you know? I thought so too until I started browsing Rav.
I’ve decided there’s not a damned thing separating these. Case in point.
I thought a cowl was more of a neck warmer?
- Cabled Capelet
- Progression Cowl – doesn’t this look strikingly similar to the capelet to the left?
- Quatrain (cape) – ok I think I figured it out. A cape is longer. No, it’s the same length as the left one. A cape has a turtleneck. Damn that left again.
I’m starting to lose steam here. Let’s look at another set.
- Appia (cowl) – maybe it’s a cowl because she’s not wearing it pulled down over her shoulders?
- Winter Capelet – I love this one but I can’t make sense of it. Winter but it has a wide neck and lace. I give up.
- Soft Shoulder Cowl/Shawl – this designer just gave up with the name. Funny thing is this is what I think of when I think capelet – not cowl nor shawl.
Regardless of the names I love this accessory. Or is it garment. Maybe outerwear?
I’ll catch you on the purl side…